So here we are. An old coworker of mine, Danielle Famble (who is an awesome voice actor, btw) had given me the idea to do a top five list every month because of how many different things I’m always looking up/at. This doesn’t mean that all or none of the things are new, it’s just things I’ve stumbled across this month that really made me smile, think, or just felt were important. Of the five, my friend Betsy managed to influence two of the things. Two came into my view from my friend Dan, but involved my own digging once he gave me the shovel. The last of the five has just been a joy with my Fiance. Big thanks to both of them, because they made this a fun month for YouTube clips and finding new channels. I’m going to try and always share at least one book, one TV Show/Movie, one Company I like, one content producer, and #5 gets to be a floaty freebie for me. But, rules are made to be broken.
That being said, let’s get on with my top five things for August.
1. Linus Tech Tips. Dan showed me this while we were discussing the magic that is the Playstation 5, and all it’s glorious proprietary read/write technology that Sony has made. Linus’ dove into it’s power with a strangely sincere apology video, linked here. While the video itself is close to two months old, I only saw it in early August. That led me down a further rabbit hole of things Linus linked in that video, and my fiance and I are actually going to be buying PS5’s at launch, no doubts whatsoever.
2. Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson. Dan… Daniel… Okay. You win buddy. You’ve been saying it for about a year and a half now, and I have to say, you were more than right. You were so right, it’s kind of scary. This is probably everything I’ve wanted and needed in a fantasy series to help me better frame my writing and draw some context and world building techniques from. I am warning you, if you like a story that occur over multiple books, a world that is VERY well developed, and characters that actually feel like they have different personalities, you’re going to become somewhat obsessed. I’m only about 150 pages in, and I wish i could read faster and had more time in a day.
3. Ew. This is still making me chuckle. This was just another random clip that Betsy sent me, because she sends me fun things that make people laugh. I don’t watch Jimmy Kimmel, but this little clip just made my day. The sort of exchange that Jimmy and his buddy had together reminds me of some of the exchanges that Kailey and i have in our day-to-day. I’m actually laughing now, thinking of it.
4. Andy Dwyer. Thank you Betsy. Thank you so much. I did not know that Parks and Rec was worth watching after Season 3, and am now fully hooked into watching the rest of the show. Andy Dwyer makes me laugh, a lot. Out loud. Surprised laughs. He’s also heartwarming like a five year old with a platform and absolutely zero filter. Also, Ron Swanson. Oh my sweet jesus, Ron Swanson.
5. and the last thing on the list, if you haven’t already seen it, is Guy Ritchie’s latest film, The Gentlemen. I would rather you just go see the movie and not have a link to a trailer or anything, because most trailers end up telling you an entire movie within three minutes, which ruins the point of watching a movie.
Let me know if any of these things made you smile too, and if not, at least now you know they won’t! I hope you’re all taking care of yourselves during quarantine. Keep being safe, healthy, and humorous.